Coming soon, there is going to be a big vote in the Senate about GMO labeling - called the DARK Act. It is called that because they are literally trying to keep us in the dark about what we are buying and consuming.
The “Denying Americans the Right-to-Know” (DARK) Act would:
- Preempt states from requiring labeling of GMO food.
- Virtually eliminate FDA’s ability to craft a national GMO labeling system.
- Codify the current, broken voluntary labeling system.
- Create a GMO “safety” review system based on industry science.
- Allow “natural” foods to contain GMO ingredients.
In the meantime, did you know you can make sure you avoid all GMOs by looking for the organic label or non-GMO labels on food?
Here are a few companies who I love supporting because they care about the products they offer enough to make sure they are organic or non-GMO.
- Numi Organic Tea is a leading purveyor of premium-quality, full-leaf Organic and Fair Trade Certified teas made with 100 percent real ingredients. Numi blends its organic leaf teas with only real herbs, fruits, flowers and spices—not unnecessary “natural” flavorings or perfumes. All Numi products are packaged in recycled-content containers and non-GMO verified biodegradable bags. I love their Turmeric teas - such a powerful anti-inflammatory herb that does wonders for our bodies! You can actually see the little pieces of Turmeric in each teabag, and the taste is much better and more real than many other tea companies I have tried.
- Nutiva is the world’s best-selling brand of organic coconut, chia, hemp and red palm superfoods. All Nutiva products are organic and non-GMO certified. Nutiva is dedicated to nourishing people and planet and donates 1 percent of sales to support sustainable agriculture programs. We love using their coconut flour to replace all grain flours. I am planning on trying this delicious Coconut Flour Biscuit recipe soon. They also have delicious coconut treats, coconut oil, and so much more!
- Mary’s Gone Crackers offers delicious snacks that unite outstanding taste with satisfying nutrition. Loaded with whole grains and healthy ingredients, Mary’s Gone Crackers are certified organic, gluten free, non-GMO, kosher, and vegan, and contain no nuts, dairy, or eggs. With a passion for foods that are delicious and impact the mind, body and planet in a positive way, all of Mary’s Gone Crackers products are created with the company’s Conscious Eating philosophy in mind. Make sure you try these pretzels or their Ginger Snaps. Yum!
- Lifeway, the maker of my favorite Kefir, is committed to 4 ideals: all natural hormone and GMO-free ingredients, philanthropy, environmental responsibility, and local farming sustainability. That is a company I want to support! Right now, they are offering their limited-edition, Pumpkin Pie Kefir. The pumpkin pie kefir is filled with probiotics and contains only 150 calories and 2 grams of fat per serving, plus it is just delicious!
- House Foods, tofu specialists since 1983, is dedicated to providing the most affordable, highest quality and widest range of the freshest Tofu products. The company uses only non-genetically modified (non-GMO) soybeans grown in the USA. All House Foods Tofu products are Non-GMO Project verified and certified gluten-free. Can you believe you can have a gluten free pasta made with tofu? These are so cool! They are so easy to use and taste great with a homemade tomato sauce and meatballs.
- Barbara’s Bakery offers delicious foods for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Their Pumpkin Puffins are an especially delicious, seasonal treat. Made with real pumpkin and spiced with all of the classic pumpkin pie flavors, this low-sugar and non-GMO treat is nothing short of irresistible. They honestly do taste like a crunchy pumpkin pie, and if you are a pumpkin spice junkie, you will love them!
I did receive products to try out for myself. No other compensation was given. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.