Oh, how I love coconut oil (preferably extra virgin organic coconut oil)! Let me count the ways...here are 35 of my favorite ways to use it!
Cooking and Eating
· On Toast Instead of Butter - Simply use coconut oil instead of butter on your toast.
· Smoothies - Add one tablespoon of coconut oil into your favorite smoothie recipe and increase your energy with the oil's MCTs.
· Fry Eggs - Lightly coat the bottom of your skillet with coconut oil to create a non-stick surface and delicious eggs.
· Popcorn Topping - Instead of butter, melt a little coconut oil and pour it over your popped popcorn.
· Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips - Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Thinly slice sweet potatoes to about 1/8” thick. Place slices on a baking sheet and brush lightly with coconut oil. Bake for about 15 minutes or until chips are lightly brown. Add salt to taste, and serve with salsa or dip. (Or just eat them plain – either way they’re delicious!)
· Replace Vegetable Oil for Baking - Next time you make your favorite brownie recipe, replace the vegetable oil with coconut oil. Your friends will be begging you for the recipe.
· Grilled Cheese with Coconut Oil - No need for butter the next time you are making a grilled cheese sandwich.
· Coconut Oil Coffee - Adding a spoonful to your coffee is a delicious way to start your day with a huge energy boost!
· Homemade Granola
· A Spoonful in Tea - Allow some coconut oil to melt and mildly flavor your next cup of tea.
- Oil Pulling - I also use it every day for oil pulling. Check out what that is and how to do it yourself here!
Coconut Oil Skin Care
· Shaving Lotion - Close shave and a moisturizer at the same time.
· Body Scrub - Combine coconut oil and sugar.
· Makeup Remover - Healthier, stronger and longer eye lashes are just a bonus!
· Diaper Rash Cream - Apply regularly to the baby's bottom to improve skin health.
· Sexual Lubricant
· Stretch Mark Preventer During Pregnancy - This safe, healthy oil can be applied multiple times each day to help moisturize your stretching skin.
· Nipple Cream During Breastfeeding - Coconut oil is a popular choice for nursing mothers because it is a natural safe product.
· Massage Oil - Coconut oil is the perfect choice for a massage oil. Not too greasy and with a relaxing scent.
· Body Moisturizer - Apply directly after showering.
· Sunburn Care - A great moisturizer to use after you've gotten a bit too much sun.
· Mix in Bath Water - Melt about 1/4 cup in the microwave and add it to your bath water and soak.
· Dry Feet Treatment - Mix with salt to form a foot scrub.
· Elbow Rub - Helps manage the dry skin on your elbows.
Coconut Oil Hair Care
· Leave-in Overnight Conditioner - Looking for a deep conditioning hair treatment? Rub a small amount of oil into hair (mostly at ends), comb through and put hair in a loose bun before bed, and wash out in the morning.
· Hair Flyaway Tamer - Use very sparingly on ends or areas with flyaways.
· Defrizzer of Split Ends - Just put a tiny amount on your hands and run them through the frizzy areas.
· Static Reducer - Rub your hands together with a little bit of coconut oil on them and run them through your static-y hair.
Other Healthy Uses for Coconut Oil
· Wound Care - Although you may not be ready to give up your Neosporin, coconut oil can even be used as a topical protector for wounds, shielding them with a thin chemical layer from outside contaminants. You can apply a small amount of coconut oil to small scrapes and cuts.
· Metabolism Booster - 2 tablespoons per day are proven to rev up your metabolism.
· Thyroid Supporter - Regular coconut oil consumption has been shown to support healthy thyroid function.
· Energizer - 1 teaspoon can give you a burst of energy instead of turning towards a caffeinated energy drink.
· Oil Pulling - Swish coconut oil around in your mouth for 10-20 minutes before brushing.
Coconut Oil for Animals
· Feed it to your Dog or Cat - Coconut oil isn't just healthy for humans. Here is some good info on the benefits for dogs and cats.
· Put It On Your Cat's Paw - Put half a teaspoon on your kitty's paw to keep a shiny coat and cut down on hairballs.
You can find coconut oil at almost any grocery or natural foods store. But my absolute favorite is from Carrington Farms. Why? Well, because they have the most wonderful extra virgin organic coconut oil in a handy dandy tub. Most coconut oil comes in jars, and it can be hard to get every amazing morsel out. With Carrington Farms tub, you can easily scoop it all out without getting it all over your hands.
Check out Carrington Farms Facebook page for more good information and find all the “All Good April” Carrington Farms deals in a store near you! For those of you in the Twin Cities, there are several Byerly's and Lund's that carry them.