I cannot believe I am actually saying this, but I will say it, "I am sad."
I am sad to be at the end of this journey. Those are my initial feelings, and when I think about why I feel that way, here is what I come up with:
1. I love a good challenge, and now that this is over, I will miss the program, camaraderie, and support of all of you and all the other Whole30'ers.
2. I feel good! I feel great about not relying on sugar and processed junk to get me through the day as my little pick-me-up treat. Now I know, it really did NOT pick-me-up.
3. My skin looks and feels great! No blemishes at all during my Whole30.
4. I think I still have a lot to learn. I am sad that I didn't master my Whole30 journey perfectly. I still snacked. I still had the emotional snacks at night. But, I have a little consolation in the fact that I can and will be doing another Whole30, maybe next year on January 1st again. And this time, I will be more prepared and ready to tackle it better!
5. I have learned so much about myself, eating patterns, triggers, and how eating ONLY really healthy food makes me feel fantastic!
6. I won't have the structure of the program - my inner voice telling me "Don't even think about cookies. Don't even wander over to the chip aisle." Now, I will have to learn to say no just because I know deep down I don't want that junk food.
7. I am scared of relapsing into the nightly sugar junkie I once was. Sure, I ate healthy 90% of the time, but the other 10% of the time was ugly.
8. I have had fun (dare I say it) trying to come up with new recipes and trying new ingredients. Sure, it was a lot of extra work, but it sparked my creativity and everything was so darn tasty!
Even though I am sad it is over, you know what they say - "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened." So, that is what I will do. I will continue to smile because I made it, because I didn't eat junk for 30 days, because I did something I never thought possible!!!
Next time, you'll have to join me, because it was a journey like no other!
Stay tuned for future posts updating you on how I am transitioning. If you did the Whole30 with me, I'd love to hear how you feel today.