We are getting ready to go on our second big road trip of the summer. 10+ hours in the car with my four little ones, age 7 and under. One thing I learned the first time around is have plenty of food. Hungry kids are not happy kids.
So, what should a health conscious, paleo mom do?
Let me give you a few basic paleo foods that are great for road trips and anytime snacks.
- hard boiled eggs
- dried fruit - we love to get our organic dried fruit in big bags from Costco
- cut up veggies - carrots, sugar snap peas, and celery are especially easy
- DIY trail mix - pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds, walnuts, raisins, cranberries, goldenberries, coconut flakes, etc.
- EPIC bars, bites and medleys - These are not your typical protein bar. Instead of just nuts and seeds, fruit and a little honey, these are full of delicious animal proteins. Bison Bacon Cranberry bar? YUM!!! Want some white meat? How about Chicken Sesame BBQ? Mouth-watering yet? Even better...EPIC uses only the best quality proteins! They really set the industry standards by sourcing their meat from ranchers that provide proof of certification that they really do treat their animals as well as they should. The animals EPIC uses are pastured, happy, and healthy. Remember, you are what you eat!
- If you are looking for a bit of a more traditional paleo snack bar, look no further than The Paleo Diet Bar. These gluten free, grain free, soy free, dairy free, fiber-rich, and protein-rich, preservative free bars are not only healthy, but they really stop all cravings in their track. Since they are powered by rich-protein sources containing all 9 essential amino acids, they make a great road trip snack or addition to an on-the-go meal. Instead of grabbing some sweet treat, full of junk, from the gas station, choose one of these bars instead. You will feel fuller and stop your cravings in their tracks with either their Cranberry Almond or Cinnamon Raisin bar.
When I first saw The Paleo Diet Bar on the show, Shark Tank, I knew I wanted to try them. They did not disappoint! They are super chewy, full of flavor, and I love that they use egg protein which is a source of all nine amino acids that can only be derived from food.
All of these snacks are delicious, healthy, paleo and make road trips that much more fun! What is your favorite paleo snack? Any tips for road-tripping with little kids?